The successful applicant will report to the Senior Manager – Reagent Manufacturing and will form part of the Reagent Manufacturing department within Roche Diagnostics Operations Cape Town. The Material Handler performs the physical and administrative tasks involved in receiving, order fulfilment, storing and distribution of materials, parts, supplies, and equipment. This role manages Reagent Manufacturing’s inventory from consumables to critical reagent raw materials.
- Receives incoming materials, services, and supplies by unpacking and checking goods against purchase orders and packing slips, and completing transactions in the ERP system.
- Ensures proper documentation is received for incoming raw materials (Certificates of Analysis, MSDS); establishes and maintains files for documentation from suppliers.
- Labels and transfers approved material to appropriate temperature-controlled storage locations.
- Establishes an organized system and maintains raw material, consumables, and retained product inventories for manufacturing, managing both the physical storage of items and the electronic tracking systems.
- Verifies raw material expiration dates, ensures adequate shelf-life for the life of the finished product, and manages the disposition of expired raw goods.
National diploma or equivalent combination of education and applicable work experience.
0-2 Years of experience with material handling/inventory control in a biotech/pharmaceutical/clinical laboratory manufacturing environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Successful track record who must be comfortable with a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of chemical handling and laboratory safety.
- Proven math skills including unit of measure conversions.
- Skilled with Excel.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to maintain open, effective communication with coworkers, managers, and non-laboratory personnel.
- Must be able to safely lift up to 34 kg.