A fixed asset controller uses standard accounting practices to record and track all transactions related to the company’s physical assets, including any tagging or labelling of the items and maintaining the database of the register of these assets. The controller is responsible for recording depreciation, any other assets entries and may represent the organization in any audits related to these fixed assets. Additionally, the controller conducts timely physical verifications/counts to validate the accuracy of their records. The asset controller must have the ability to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, and must be able to work under pressure at times.
The asset controller is located at the Durban site but will be expected to work across both sites monthly.
1. Recommend to management any updates to accounting policies related to fixed assets.
2. Create and assign QR codes (asset labels) to fixed assets.
3. Ensure all asset additions are tagged timeously.
4. Record fixed asset acquisitions and disposals in the accounting system.
5. Process depreciation for all fixed assets.
6. Maintain the fixed asset register on AHRI asset database and SAP.
7. Identify and investigate any obsolete assets.
8. Conduct physical inventory counts of fixed assets and reconcile to the asset register.
9. Recommend to management whether fixed assets should be disposed of based on physical inspections.
10. Conduct analysis related to fixed assets as requested by management.
11. Prepare audit schedules relating to fixed assets and assist the auditors in their inquiries.
12. Ability to locate all assets per the fixed asset register.
13. Constant updates to the asset register and record keeping for changes in asset locations.
14. Liaising with all departmental staff to ensure proper asset control and management.
15.Assist in other administrative and support areas as and when required.
1. Previous experience as a Fixed Assets clerk, or similar role.
2. Highly computer literate with working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel and MS Power Point.
3. Experience in inputting information into an ERP system such as SAP, or any other accounting/asset software.
1. Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
2. Independent self-starter with attention to detail.
3. Possesses integrity and ability to maintain accurate and confidential records.
4. Ability to organize workload, adapt quickly to change, and deliver under the pressure of deadlines.
5. Teamwork – Must be able to work as part of a growing team. Must be able to work reliably and responsibly with internal and external colleagues.